Monday, December 15, 2008

Work boots

This is my submission for the Different Strokes blog. I did this so completely different than anything else, ever. I kinda like it! And, it's even better in person. Some of the colors got a little muddled in the photo. I started with a bright orange acrylic background on a highly textured handmade paper. (I've run out of small surfaces to paint on, so I had to get a little more creative) Anyhow, I loosely drew the picture onto the bright orange and just started painting. I knew I wanted to use a lot of blue in the shadows to play off of the orange flecks coming through, but I didn't know where to go from there. I started this piece after finishing my Christmas painting I talked about in the last post. I needed to finish this one in a hurry considering it was already 11:30 when I started. In all I think it took about 45 minutes. I will do more quick paintings like this for sure.

Work boots
6X6
Oil on handmade paper

3 comments:

Just Us said...

Love love love those gloves!! I think I will learn how to knit this year just to do those :0)! Great job on the painting, that is also something I am learning from a lady in my ward-it is definently a talent that you have!!

Chelsie Brady said...

Thanks, Liz! Do you know how to crochet? I made up the pattern for those and I crocheted them. If you want I can send you my instructions. They are super cute and those girls just love them! I made a pair with pink around the hand and gray on the arm. I then gathered the edge and added a cute porcelain button. There are just so many ways to make them! I want to see some of your paintings. I wish I knew what I was doing a bit more. It was a like a total epiphany to start with a bright, contrast color underneath!

Marianne Ginsberg said...

Chelsie, I love your interpretation of the work boots. I think you met Karin's stated goal of pushing the media to the limit. This is what oil paint was made for. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Best wishes, Marianne Ginsberg