Sunday, March 29, 2009

Beached

This was the challenge for the DSFDF blog I often participate in. It seems I will be doing a bit more watercolors starting this week. I will be starting a term of school, and one of my classes is watercolor! Yay! I think this one would make a nice watercolor, actually. Perhaps I will take a different part of the reference photo and use watercolors.

I started with a bright orange background, thinking that since orange is the complement of blue, and this painting would end up being very blue, that might be a nice ground to work with. It kind of made the skin tone brighter than I'd hoped, but I like how bits of orange are peeking out from behind the blue. I don't know... I'm still experimenting with colors. There's so much to learn and try with oil painting! That's exciting, but also quite daunting. Trying to teach myself is difficult. Anyone have any suggestions?

Beached
8X6
oil on canvas board

4 comments:

Lesley Spanos said...

Oooh, love your blues here, especially in the water!

I'd like to pass on the Passion For Painting award to you. Your mission - should you choose to accept it - is to name seven things you love in your blog, then pass the award on to seven more artists. List their links in a blog post and notify them of their award in their comments. Of course none of this is mandatory, but it does help publicize your blog. :)

Kevin Kambree and Kinlee Meudt said...

Super cute! I wish I had those legs! Love you sister.

dominique eichi said...

Very nice piece for this DSFDF challenge, congratulation on the award

Avocaken said...

I really like your rendition of the DSFDF Beach Family challenge. The girls' bikini color really pops with the blue sky and blue sea. GOOD JOB!!!

I think that we ALL have much to learn. Those who think that they don't are fooling themselves! :-)